- Will volunteering affect my jobseeker's allowance?
Citizens Advice Bedford volunteering will not affect jobseeker's allowance (JSA) provided you:
- remain available for and are actively seeking a full time paid job
- take reasonable steps to find a job (e.g. answering adverts, signing up with an agency and taking other steps required by the Jobcentre Plus office)
- inform the Job Centre/ Jobcentre Plus office that you are volunteering
- can attend interview within 48 hours and take up work within one week.
- Citizens Advice Bedford can help you by providing a standard letter stating that the volunteer:
- receives no remuneration, only reimbursement of actual out-of-pocket expenses, which does not count towards the JSA ‘earnings disregard’
- can be contacted whilst volunteering at the local Citizens Advice if a job opportunity becomes available
- can be available at a week’s notice to start work or attend an interview with 48 hours’ notice.
- Volunteering should not affect income support as long as you are not receiving any money other than reimbursement of expenses.